Friday, January 28, 2011

Oh...and One more thing...

I know I have been consumed with this Gluten-Free thing as of late..and I really have..i have been on the Internet nonstop for the last few days researching everything from gluten free candy to MSG to carmel color to modified food starch and everything in between. It has been all-encompassing. And the more I learn and discover the more I really know how challenging it will be. I talked to my doctor and found out I can stop taking the medicine and just live a GF (gluten free) life..this will be my choice. I hate medicine and shudder at the thought of doing it for the rest of my life. And I know in one of the last posts, I said I was "up for the challenge" which is really a big fat lie. I would take my comfortable, easy, don't-have-to-think-about-what-i-will-eat life back in a second. We (and mostly I mean I) take for granted everything in life. I thought I didn't..I try to be so grateful..for the little things but here I am with this daunting change. Not that it happened because I was ungrateful..not how things work as far as a I'm concerned. But it sure makes me appreciate just health in general.

I remember sitting in the Dr.'s office almost a year ago..waiting to see what this all was and I was listening to to a couple of ladies talk about their kids and how they were allergic to just about everything....dairy, nuts, a ton of things. And I remember feeling so bad for them and so good for me :) Now here I am...happy that it's just gluten and not dairy or something else. I know I can handle it and it is still a huge adjustment. Tonight, I ordered pizza for the fam and made mine with a GF pizza mix (which by the way was really, really good). So lots of extra work and thinking. I was used to deciding on something..grabbing the ingredients..and cooking. Not so simple now. And P.S. issues like GF and other allergies should only be allowed to affect the rich...Do you know how expensive this crap is? I paid $7 for a pizza dough mix that will make 2 pizzas. $6 for a bag of GF flour that is 22 ounces! And $5 for a tiny loaf of GF bread. I might have to pick up a side job just to pay for my food :) And do you know I can't have soy sauce or cream of anything soup..hello..what's a Mormon mom to do? (And I just bought an entire case of it...lame) If I was really smart, I would start a company that made great food that was GF and make Walmart sell it (where people shop... everyday) I do not have time to drive to big ol' city's to buy this stuff. I guess, thank goodness for the Internet.  Oh well... someday....

So woe is me....get out your violins and come to the pity party for Ashley....No really don't. I am fine...just needed to vent. Life could always be worse...always. So now that I have this out of my system, it's back to the good life...not that it was ever bad. I will most definitely survive and come out a healthier and stronger person.

Amen

5 comments:

Megan and Keli'i said...

I just have to let you know that Wendy's is one of the only fast food chains that doesn't really use gluten in its products. Might make eating out a little easier :).

This is a sucky change. Seriously. You can't see it, but I really am playing my violin for you. It is well deserved, you poor lady.

And you're so right about it should only be able to affect the rich. It's absurd, the prices of healthy food.

Ryan and Amber said...

I can barely plan one meal so I lament your situation for you. On the bright side - I, Amber, promise to buy you a slush at the dairy any time I come to town. My treat you little gluten free animal! :) Loved seeing you!

Ashley DeMille said...

Oh I feel so sorry for you. You have me looking on the back of everything I eat now to see if it has gluten in it! I am so glad those brownies worked out. They might just be what helps you out when your feeling bad about this new life style. Just grab a pan of gf brownies and a sad movie and cry! I can't even imagine!

Quinn and Suzanne said...

I heard about a site the other day called Gluten-Free Goddess, so when I read about your fun life-changing news I looked it up. Here's the link: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/ It looks like it could have some good recipes and helpful tips and stuff. We have a corn allergen in our family and corn (or a derivative thereof) is in pretty much EVERYTHING you can buy boxed, canned, or frozen. Plus, since it's less common than gluten allergies, there's no line of corn-free products. So we've had to learn a lot about cooking everything from scratch. If it makes you feel any better (it probably won't right now, but maybe later?) I can now see how it has been a blessing in disguise. For one thing, we eat about 20 bajillion times healthier than we would if we didn't have to live corn-free. Good luck!

Adam and Melisa said...

Whatever! I totally know that with 4 kiddos you fix at least 6 different meals each dinner time anyway...am I right? Ok..so maybe that's just me! Good luck...if anyone can master this GF thing...it's you!