Monday, January 24, 2011
Gluten-Free
Funny how life can change so quickly..mine changed a lot today. Here's the scoop..in 2009, whilst preggers with Mags, I got a rash on my knees and elbows ( I know just the word rash is gross) anyways it was itchy and never went away. My doc said it was probably just prenancy hormones. Well it was still hanging around even after Maggie was born so I went to the dermatologist...they thought it was this disease and did a biopsy..a few days later, he called and said it wasn't the disease and to just use the cream he gave me...fast forward to today..the rash is still around..although it came and went. So I went in again...different guy but he thought it was also this disease...he checked out my biopsy report and had his partner come in...Dr. Adams (really great guy) anywho, he told me there must have been a mix up because he was the one who had done the biopsy report and I in fact had the disease....the things he told me from that moment on, would be life changing..(ok that sounds a bit more dramatic but you'll see..keep reading) So I have been diagnosed with Dermatitis Herpetiformus ...sounds weird and gross right..the bottom line is that I am getting the rash because I have an allergy to ..you guessed it...GLUTEN! Which is in pretty much everything..go look in your pantry..everything has flour in it. So I am on medication forever...blood work every few months...and no more gluten....if I continue to eat wheat, etc. I am prone to lymphoma and cancers of the stomach..and that scares the hell (sorry dad) out of me...crazy..all because of a little itchy rash. So maybe the next time you see me, I'll be a size zero..except that I can eat most candy..(insert huge sigh of relief) and so now I am off to the health food store to purchase all things gluten-free!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Oh. My. Crap. Good thing you don't love rolls and bread and stuff...and uh-oh...Gluten Free foods are so PRICEY!!! I'll look for some gluten free recipes out there...sorry love!!!
Holy Hell! (sorry, Alan, but crap didn't cut it here) Just when you think you have a handle on life stuff like this enters the picture, eh?! But you'll have a firm grip on your new handlebars of life in mere moments knowing you. I'll collect all gluten free recipes people send my way for my dear friend Ashley!
That sucks! Gluten is in everything, but it's so dang bad for you!
But good news is that you'll be a teeny weeny skinny thing in a matter of weeks because you'll be eating so healthy. Well, you're already tiny, but you'll be even teenier and healthier.
I think it's a Winkel thing because a lot of us are allergic to gluten-- Adam is one of them and Chad and I do my best to stay away from it too.
It is crazy how many things have gluten. I made a dinner for a friend who is also allergic to gluten, and almost none of the things I could think to make were gluten free.
Hopefully you feel better soon! Good luck!
That bites! Adam went on a Gluten free diet for a while to see if it relieved any of his crap...literally...crap. Anyway..I know they have tons of gluten free products out there. I remember these really yummy pancakes! Still sucks....good luck....glad they found out what was causing all the trouble!
Oh, no fun. I have some friend who have to be on Gluten Free diets, so if I see anything yummy I will send it your way! Good luck!
Yuck! I work with a Doc that is probably one of the nation's best when it comes to DH. Let me know if you ever need a dermatologist more specialized. Good Luck!
Post a Comment