Monday, May 10, 2010

Decoration Dilemma



So I always told myself, that I would let my kids put their own touches in decorating their room (ie..trophies, pictures they have drawn, things they have made) and for the most part I have. Although, sometimes I secretly hide or toss stuff. I have issues..I like their rooms to look nice and a certain way. I know. I already told you I have issues. Anyways, this is the latest piece of decor in Connor's room. You see he went on a lovely field trip and came home with this. He's fascinated by this duck/fowl poster. SOOOOO ugly. Really Connor? Ducks? So my need for control has been replaced with the desire for my kids to feel empowered and surrounded by things that they want and not what looks nicely decorated. My mom never complained with the endless amounts of dead corsages, boy calendars and other knic-knacks that I seemed to collect. And it made me feel like it was my space and nobody elses. Hopefully, my kids will feel the same. As for the poster, I have a feeling it might get "lost" in the near future :)

4 comments:

Megan and Keli'i said...

I think that poster is awesome.;)

ALICIA said...

Looks like Gage's room. Sometimes I just don't even want to go in there because he's just not as tidy as I'd like. But then I eventually break down & go in & pick up all the junk. He's never going to learn to clean his room on his own is he?

Ryan and Amber said...

You are a good mama.... wait until he starts collecting sticks with feathers on them from Scout camp. Seriously my Mom used to let BA collect SO much crap in his room. Be brave little mama!

Natalie. said...

Just wanted to stop by and say, I think you're fantastic. and my opinion totally matters more. . . ;) I know you know what I'm talking about.

xx!

Natalie Norton