Friday, January 20, 2012

Tender Mercies

The last week and a half of my life have been absolutely exhausting..draining..physically and mentally...and I'm afraid the worst is yet to come....

It started out with Sophie. She first got an ear infection. Had been up all night screaming in pain. Got her into the doctor and on an antibiotic. She got better. Then 2 days later, I had just bathed the kids and put them to bed when Sophie started complaining of a stomachache. I gave her a barf bowl and told her not to throw up on her bed. An hour later, I hear barfing and crying. I run into her room. Vomit all over her bed, her hair and the wall. Fabulous! Call my mom to come help..since Nate is still working and Chloe won't let me put her down. Bathe Sophie again..change her bedding, clean  up corn vomit everywhere. So much fun! Thank heavens for mothers who come in their pajamas and Clorox the room and bathroom. Finally she settles down and goes to sleep. But then proceeds to throw-up a million more times, more pajama and bedding changes and we are finally asleep around 3:30 am. She is better by the next night. Phew! This was last Thursday. The following Sunday, Nate gets congested and a sore throat..the story of his life lately. Chloe gets a cold..the worst stuffy nose and can not breathe...Maggie starts to fever, Connor has a sore throat and Sophie is complaining about her ear again. I take Sophie in..another ear infection..perfect..just what we wanted. And we finally go see an ENT for Nate. We have known for a while that he has needed to get his tonsils out. The Dr. says it's up to us. After much pondering and praying, we decide to get them out. But at this point I have not slept for over a week...I am seriously thinking I can not make it through one more day and listening to poor Chloe just breaks my heart..she is so stuffy and we are literally carrying around the blue booger sucker thing all day.
Nate is scheduled for a tonsillectomy for Thursday and by this point everyone is finally better minus Chloe. I tell Nate I can handle anything as long as she gets better and can breathe so she can eat and sleep. The night before Nate goes in for surgery, Chloe is the worst she has been...I prepare myself for another sleepless night. I am saying my prayers..pleading that she will somehow get over this cold. Telling my Heavenly Father that I can't do this. You all know how hard it is to have a sick baby. You would trade places in a heartbeat. And the poor little girl is trying to smile and be happy all while she has boogers galore and probably a sore throat from mouth breathing. So sad... so we went to bed and I tell you those pleading prayers that I know Nate and I offered were heard. And I experienced a little tender mercy in my life. Chloe only woke up once that night to eat and she was able to breath the entire night. She woke up the next morning barely stuffy at all..and I was amazed and filled with gratitude for the love and concern our Father in Heaven has for each of us.
Nate went in for his surgery yesterday and so now I am geared up to deal with a sick husband..and we all know how that can be. These boys just need a little more TLC when they are down and out..am I right?

I was watching my sister play basketball last night and my Aunt was there. She asked about Chloe since she is still a little stuffy and her eyes were watering (mostly because she has both tear ducts that are clogged). I proceeded to tell her about it all. And she told me I needed to write it down because as I did I would start to recognize more and more the tender mercies that He gives to me in my life.

Now wish me luck because you've all heard the horror stories about adults and tonsils and on top of that our family has to speak in our new ward on Sunday..well minus Nate. Betcha you all wish you were me right now!

4 comments:

Lauren and Clay Christensen said...

Man.. tough times! If anyone can do it its you though.. you're like super mom. Clay wants to know if Nate scheduled the surgery this week to get out of speaking?

Ryan and Amber said...

Oh lady luck. Is that what I should call you. So so so sorry for your sick I'll marathon. Ugh sick baby equals sad mama. Weekend is here speak and then sleep

Ashley DeMille said...

And all in the meanwhile you are offering meals to the neighbors! What a good person you are!!! Good luck with everything. Send the girls over to play I am sure Jaxon would LOVE to play with Sophie. He still asks about her.

suzy said...

So sorry for all the craziness at your house. I'm glad you wrote it down. Less room for doubt later. Miss you!